SS Eats: George Martin's Grillfire - Sensible Stylista

SS Eats: George Martin's Grillfire

It's time for more noms, everyone!  For today's post, I'll be telling you guys all about my experience at George Martin's Grillfire in Hanover, MD.  If you're a fan of solid American food, you'll love this restaurant.  They know how to do comfort food, for reals.  

The space is pretty, and the vibe's quite nice.  You don't have to get super dressed up or anything, but it's definitely not a let's-put-on-flip-flops-and-go kind of place.  I've been here several times since I've moved here and have enjoyed most everything I've tried on the menu.  
This may be completely irrational, but I totally judge restaurants based on their bread.  Lucky for George Martin's, their bread = life.  It's freshly-baked white bread stuffed with blue cheese (!!!!!) I could easily eat 3 of these by myself...in one sitting - FYI, no complimentary bread during lunch [insert sad face here], only dinner.  

Now, moving onto apps.  I ordered their creamy tomato soup to start, and it was ridiculously delicious.  It came out pipin' hot, and the flavor was super on point.  This was a special, so I don't know if it's available on the daily, but it's worth getting if it's on the menu.  I also got their stir fried brussel sprouts.  I get them every time I come here.  They're usually nomtastic, but they were (unfortunately) super salty this time + swimming in sauce.  
For my main course, my friend and I split two dishes.  I ordered the Beets & Blue salad with grilled chicken, and she got barbecued baby back ribs ($18 for a half rack, $26 for a full rack).  The salad was a bit overpriced, but it was yummy - $12 for the salad + $5 for the extra protein.  It was an arugula & watercress mix with roasted red & gold beets, blue cheese, candied pecans, and crispy fried onions in a sherry vinaigrette.  I could've done without the onions, but the dressing was good. Honestly, unless you're vegetarian, I recommend passing on the salad and getting a warm entree here. You'll get much more bang for your buck that way!
My frand's ribs were totes legit.  They were house-smoked and smothered in a blackjack BBQ sauce + came with sweet potato wedges and crispy fried onions.  If you like meat, definitely give this dish a try!  Now, if you're in the mood for something else, I highly recommend the horseradish, bacon & cheddar crusted sirloin meatloaf.  It comes with roasted mushrooms and mashed potatoes, and the serving's gigantic so you'll get a good 2-3 meals out of it.
The cherry on top is the free cotton candy!  I never get dessert here because I'm usually stuffed so cotton candy's  the perfect ending, light and sweet.  If you live in the DMV area, have you tried this place? If yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Also, make sure y'all comment with your favorite restaurants so I can check 'em out.  I'm planning to blog MUCH more about food + travel this year so make sure y'all stay tuned.  

2 comments